Tuesday, March 20, 2012

SOCIALIZATION


All parents want their children to grow up feeling secure and having a healthy sense of self-esteem. Albinism will have an impact on your child’s social development in several key ways. Looking different often affects a child’s social acceptance by her peers and her own development of self-esteem. IN addition, low vision often contributes to difficulties in developing appropriate social behavior. These factors can make it more challenging to find friends and to develop a healthy attitude about oneself.
robanddarnell.jpgChildren with visual impairments often need some extra help in developing certain social skills. At the same time, you may be wondering about how best to discuss albinism with your child and how to manage family dynamics. Helping your child learn how to develop friendships at an early age is very important. The social stigma associated with albinism is an unfortunate part of adolescence for some children, but if they have strong social skills, healthy self-esteem and an ability to make friends, they will overcome this hurdle.


“Children with positive self-esteem have an easier time handling conflicts and are generally optimistic. Children with low self-esteem have a more difficult time meeting challenges and finding solutions to problems”.


Personal experience:
I was raised with the same expectations as my siblings who do not have albinism. I was taught to be very independent and to do things for myself. I was given many opportunities and was included in many different peer groups. From these experiences I grew up having high self esteem that did not hinder my social experience because I knew who I was, and knew what kind of person I wanted to become.  

No comments:

Post a Comment